woensdag 9 januari 2013

Day 9 of 365 REVIEW

Today I'm going to do a review.


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I just want to take sometime of yours and quote some brilliance. Some amazingness. Beautifulness. (these aren't even words, are they?) Greatness..
Just listen.

No wait.

First I want to tell you something. And this is not entirely my own thing. Its secondhand. I heard this from someone on the YouTubes. I do not remember who it was and I'm very sorry about that. But I share her opinion. - I'm very certain it was a her - and she said the following things: (I don't quote now fyi. Im just going to say it in my own words) she said: that sometimes you have a book and it has a few awesome one-liners in them. and those primarily make the book. You know, your just reading your book and suddenly your like: woah, that's deep! Sometimes a book even has just one or maybe one chapter. Or sometimes its the end that gets you.
The book I have now in front of me is like one big shock of words en sentences together. Tangled up in fantastic, beautiful web of shocking-shock-one-line-fall-in-love-with-it-all type of stuff.
It's just this book starts with beauty in words and ends with it. - and occasionally tears -
Although it starts off with a girl who is (according to her mom) depressed, spends an awful lot of time thinking about death (which probably or most certainly is a side effect of dying, but then again, almost everything is) or re-reading the same book AND has cancer, it still is an amazing book, that goes deeper than some people ever know it even could go. (Like in their heads, you know, that they don't know that they could think that deep.. or that something could mean that much.. no? okay, just for get it than) It has the beauty that is American culture and Dutch culture in it. (Which is nice, because I, myself, come from the lovely little spec that is The Netherlands)
It holds a lot of imagination and thoughts of a sixteen (going on seventeen) year old girl, who's sick-dying and in love.
It has the beauty that is talking very lighthearted -yet still very aware of the seriousness of the matter- about a terrible disease: cancer. It makes it almost fluffy (like cotton candy), but at the same time such a burden to carry. And throughout the book, you feel the burden of cancer that's on every page.
It makes you think and think and think, how your life would change and the people around you, with cancer being there.
The main characters go on a trip to Amsterdam, where they have the most amazing and at the same time not so amazing time. They see Amsterdam in spring and drink Champagne in an airplane.

So I decided that I'm not going to spoil the end.
But now I come back to the point of quoting. I want to quote the whole book. But it kinda means you have to read it. And so you should. :)

So here are some chunks of story. And maybe if you read The Fault in Our Stars, you run into them.


- "Are these houses very old?" Asked my mom. 
"Many of the canal houses date from the Golden Age, the seventeenth century," he said. "Our city has a rich history, even though many tourist are only wanting to see the Red Light District." He paused. "Some tourists think Amsterdam is a city of sin, but in truth it is a city of freedom. And in freedom, most people find sin." 

- It's hard to hold on to your dignity when the risen sun is too bright in your losing eyes, and that's what I was thinking about as we hunted for bad guys through the ruins of a city that didn't exist.

- Funerals, I had decided, are for the living. 

(Of course this all will make sense when you read the book ;))


If you read the book, tell me what you thought - do you share my opinion - and if you didn't read it, please do read it and let me know what your thoughts are! :)


Yours truly,
Tigerlily

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten